Friday 23 May 2008

London: The last three days



So, on May 20th we left at 8:30 in the morning CST.  Got on the plane at 5 pm PST in Atlanta, and arrive at 7:07 AM in London.  

The plane ride was incredible BUT I will say this.  Airplane food SUCKS.  really bad.  It was like a really cheap, way too salty, TV dinner.  
I got a window seat, thanks to Rachel Bray not coming.  

We arrived and Kieran met us at Gatwick.  We took a charter bus to our residences, a good hour and a half ride into London.  Yay.  More sitting.  

I live at Westburn Place.  It's this nice little house/townhouse-ish.  There are 3 floors plus ground.  First floor is living/dining room and kitchen.  Second floor is my, Bess's, and Lacy's room. Our bathroom is big, with a huge tub (which I was planning on making use of last night BUT I fell asleep).  Third floor is Anna, Katie, and Kaitlyn.  
Later on that day, Kieran showed up and took us on a walking tour of our neighborhood, where the closest grocery store and cash point (ATM) and tube station is.  
He's a cutie, I'll have to get a picture.
Then at 5, this guy came to tell us what to do and not to do regarding our flat.  Basically, don't do stupid things.  

Thursday we had to be at CAPA at 9 am for more orientation regarding London and British culture.  We went over slang and other things and Constable Burchell talked to us about law-abiding and bits and pieces.  He was great.  and apparently we DON'T need our passport to go to Scotland or Ireland (funny story there).

Then our profs did a bit of an intro session to what we'll be learning and what is expected of us.  I'm looking forward to both classes.  A lot of students aren't too excited about the British Art History class, but I think it'll be alright.  We have to make like a travel guide/diary for our grades with journal entries and top tens.  I don't know what everyone is on about with their complaining.  
Then at 3 we had a panoramic bus tour of London.  We had this great tour guide, Sean, very silly with a thick Scottish brogue.  He was all about the pop culture references and kept mentioning Madonna.  He was great.  We got out at St. Paul's, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace.
We went back home and I was SO tired.  I ate a sandwich and went to bed early, accidentally.  I woke up at midnight and Bess and Lacy were still up.  I finished my reading due the next day and went to bed at like... 3?  ish?  
7:30 am the next morning.  I wake up!  Shower, breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast), and we leave for CAPA for our first Velek class.  We have to board the Elephant and Castle Brown line at Kilburn Park Station and ride to Paddington where we change to the circle line (which is ALWAYS late) and then get off at Gloucester (pronounced Gloster) Road Station.  We walk for about 5 minutes to CAPA.  Takes about 30 minutes in all.  
Our class this morning is on the chapters from our Ackroyd book, Pestilence and Flame, and After the Fire.  Wonderful discussion.  
Break for lunch.  Bess and I walk to Sainsbury's (Target) and get lunch since I left my made-with-love sandwich on the table that morning.  :(  But it was good.  We ate in the Student Lounge at CAPA.
At 2 pm we had to meet Dr. V at the Central Kensington Library at 12 Phillimore Walk.  We got library cards and then did some researching on our topics. I found a ton of books, none of which I can check out because they are all reference so I must make copies.  Which means I need to get some cash.  Then we left around 4.  We also realize when we get home that we don't have Anna and she isn't at the house.  Whoops.  Good thing I'm not responsible for her. 
At 6 we were to meet at Devonshire Arms pub for our welcome dinner from CAPA.  It was nice.  No one really got drunk except for Celeste, and she was adorable.  I was going to go to the Dublin Castle with her for some live music, but I was absolutely knackered (tired) and I just went home.  Then I changed into some PJ's and totally planned on washing my face and doing a bit of laundry before I slept.  
Next thing I know it's 6:30 am Saturday morning.  Ha.  So much for plans.  Here I am it's almost 8 am and I'm the only one up in the house.  I'm watching TV, skipping between the Saturday morning kids' shows and sports.  Mainly football (soccer) with some horse racing.  

So, that's what I've done so far.  

Questions?  Comments? Clarifications? 

2 comments:

Gargano-Coffey said...

I am so glad you have this blog; it will be so nice to read about what you are doing.

Emily O. said...

yeah! I second that...it will be nice to hear of your adventures in Europe!