Sunday 1 June 2008

Sunburns in Scotland? Really?

Ach.  I'm so tired.  Bess and I just got back from Edinburgh, and we are both in the weirdest moods.  Is this what being drunk feels like?  We are both very giggly.  I think part of it stems from being completely jazzed at PLATFORM NINE AND THREE QUARTERS!  and we had to pee so we were trying to make each other wet ourselves...  We're great friends.  

So we got to Balmore House on Gilmore Place and it was aawwwesome!  Nice place, and killer breakfast, too.  Saturday morning I had sausage, bacon, fried egg, hash browns, tomato, and mushrooms.  Yurmm.   Sunday I had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.  Hem.  The texture was like raw...  I wasn't taken by it.  

So on Friday Bess and I arrive and we call Velek and then we go out.  We go to No. 1 Sushi Bar, and then hit up a Tesco for some chocolate and cookies and go home and watch Britain's Got Talent.  

Saturday we wake up, eat breakfast at 8:30 and meet Velek at the Meadows (park in middle of Edinburgh) at 10.  He showed us around, took us to the Royal Mile and to the roof of a museum and pointed at things.  Arthur's Seat, a few spire-like things and a castle (which you can see no matter WHERE you are in Edinburgh).  

Bess and I basically walked for 8 straight hours.  We had lunch at this cute little deli cafe thing.  I had a avocado, goats cheese, and spinach sandwich on a baguette with a small salad.  

By the way, it was CRAZY sunny this day and, of course, we don't have any sunscreen so Bess and I burned.  Greeeaat.  
It was really funny though, because all the pasty Scots were walking about complaining about the heat (69 degrees fahrenheit) without their shirts.  The males that is.  Not the females.  They kept their shirts on.  

I went in a couple charity shops (thrift stores) and I bought a plaid mini!  I have a plaid, wrap-around skirt from Scotland!   Yay!  

We went out that night after Britain's Got Talent.  So.  We went to this tavern called Shakespeare's but after Bess ordered her beer she realized they had stopped serving food.  Great.  So we keep on walking down Lothian and end up at an Italian restaurant that had the best service we've seen in all of Britain so far.  and a cute waiter.  ;)

Then we went out to this cute little cocktail bar and Bess orders me my first drink (we both got carded).  Lemon-juice, Lemon Vodka, and Strawberry Liquor.  It was alright...  Tasted like cough syrup.  I didn't finish it.  

Then Sunday we had to check out by 10 am and our train doesn't leave until  3:30.  Wonderful.  All we really did today was kill time.  So for about four and a half hours we hang out in Edinburgh with all our crap.  We hung out in Caffe Nero for about 2 hours then went to Princes St. and ate some soup at Ryan's cafe and bar.  Numm.  

We came out of Ryan's and it was raining.  Perfect.  
All of our stuff and our shoes and socks were drenched.  We stopped at a bus stop so I can roll my pants up and this black cab stops and lets out a couple passengers.  We grabbed it up!  We knew it wasn't far to Waverly station otherwise it would have been too exspensive.  and yes, we did get a picture but Bess has it.  

So now we're back at the flat.  Nice.  It's nice to be back in my routine.  

Questions?
Comments?
Clarifications?

1 comment:

Lydia said...

what is going on is your sunburn better?